9.20.2010

8.) the gift of photography.

When I turned 30 in August, my mom signed me up for a six week photography course at a local camera shop (great gift, right?!).  It was a course I'd had my eye on for a while, since I had gotten a nice new digital SLR camera the year before and hadn't mastered it's full potential.  I had my last of the six courses tonight, and I have to say that honestly, the class has been one of the best things I've done for myself in a long time!  (thanks, Mom!)

I've always loved to take pictures and loved finding unique ways to capture what is in front of my lens.  Recently graduating from a point-and-shoot to a DSLR has been an intimidating leap, and there is still so much more to understand.  It has a million and one capabilities beyond the "Auto" settings, and there is only so much you can learn from an owner's manual. 

Before the class began, I wasn't sure what to expect.  I was afraid it wouldn't hold my interest, or be too technical for me.  In the end, it was actually a really great mix of art + creativity + technique + technical mumbo-jumbo!  And, not only was the instructor knowledgeable and an incredible photographer, but he is also very approachable, which is really nice for shy folks like me! 
Photography is, as our instructor put it, telling a story through images.  But to acheive those images, one must first understand the functions of their camera and also have an eye for the composition of a photograph.  I may try to find a way to get some pictures onto this blog so that I can have somewhat of a portfolio as I really hone in on certain skills, or specific techniques.  It might be a nice way to keep myself organized while providing a visual log of my skills as I learn. 

I don't typically have "hobbies", so this is quite an experience for me.  I've found something I really like!  Too bad it's not the most affordable hobby out there.... but it does motivate me to explore other things that I feel I might enjoy.  S.C.U.B.A., anyone??

No comments:

Post a Comment